$$$? That’s too expensive! I know someone who will do it for $...

Over the years I have heard this statement far too often. I was able to sway the majority from this pitfall, but there is always the rebel that did not heed my warnings and thus provided me with enough material to write a book. These are just a handful of examples of what happens when you don’t accept the guidance and try to save some money…

My ____________ (insert your own) can do my cake for less than half the price.
Yes your alternate baker did do your cake for a minimal charge but you received:

• Mother of the Bride baked the cake and delivered it to the reception site in boxes unassembled. She provided no stand or any other means to stack this cake to match the picture the bride provided.
• Aunt of the Bride baked the cake that looked like the leaning tower of Pisa, however that was not the look the bride was trying to achieve.
• Friend of the bride baked the cake that was lovely with just a few imperfections. This would have been a win, if you enjoy iced cornbread.


My ____________ (insert your own) can do my flowers for less than half the price.
Yea, Yea, Yea

• Mother of the Groom made the flowers, and the boutonnieres were clipped off pieces of dollar store flowers no wire, or tape, and no pins. The bride’s bouquet was an empty bleach bottle with a hole cut in it stuffed with Styrofoam to hold the dollar store flowers.
• Mother of the Groom handled the decorations, unfortunately they were in an attic for years and she didn’t dust them off prior to bringing them to the venue. And can you believe the centerpieces were constructed on a dinner plate?
• “If Martha Stewart can do it, so can I” said the bride who made her own huppah out of thin dowels.

My ____________ (insert your own) can DJ for less than half the price.
Oh My!

• DJ shows up late, in a cab drunk. His equipment was so old the wheels were missing off a speaker and it leaned to the left. His microphone had a short, and if you didn’t hold it a certain way, there was no sound.
• DJ does not make announcements, only brought 10 songs with him, and repeated them over and over. Towards the end of the reception after a few drinks he decided to make some announcements, but you didn’t want to hear what he had to say.
• DJ was a queen that had to be waited on hand and foot as if he was a guest, or else he refused to carry on with the music because he was hungry and thirsty.
• Band was hired at a steal; however they drank more of the open bar than the price of hiring a professional band. And oh yea the band leader had to be fed all of his lines in order to make announcements.

My ____________ (insert your own) can do my catering for less than half the price.
Do you see where I am going with this?

• The cheap caterer nickel and dimed the bride less than a month before the wedding, and the price exceeded the price of a good caterer. You won’t believe this one: the extra charge servers were hired from the homeless shelter.

I could go on for days and for every wedding professional category, but unfortunately you will have to wait for the book. The moral of the story is: you get what you pay for. Thank you for indulging me on my rants.

Comments

Unknown said…
Very nice, and so so true!
Unknown said…
Great article, Lisa. It's scary, but true! I hope there are brides that think twice after reading your post.
I just love this post!!!!!!!! What about all those DJ's and others that are officiating???? I have heard some horror stories about this too! Can I copy this post to show my future brides??????
Sure you may post this. The more people who are aware the better.

Popular Posts